Friday, November 15, 2013

Autism: All Heart and Innocence

Autism:  All Heart and Innocence 

This week we had a tragic event happen in our neighborhood.  Down the road from us a young lady runs a riding stable and school.  I could walk there from my house.  The barn that houses the horses is very close to the road itself.  Many times you can see the children, some very young, leading the horses out of the pasture to the riding ring next to the barn.  People tend to drive extremely fast on this road, taking into consideration that is is a residential neighborhood.  When you drive up the hill to my house from the horse barn at certain times of the day, you get blinded by the sun.  

This week I heard the sound of the local fire department sirens and could see down the road to a large assembly of emergency vehicles in the area of the barn.  I wondered if one of the horses had escaped and caused an auto accident.  It was the next day that we learned that a young lady, a riding student 15 years old, had been struck by a car. 

I explained this to my son with autism.  He listened quietly as I told him that some folks drive too fast.  That we must never go near the road.  That mom and all other drives must concentrate when they are driving and that it is a serious job. 

Today I made the daily McD's run to get Joey's french fries.  When I returned I saw him make his way to the computer printer in his bedroom.  He extracted a piece of printer paper and brought it to the kitchen. 
"I want to make a card for the girl that got hit by the car", he announced.  

Now, my son loves to make cards for family members around the holidays.  When he was home sick the entire school term last year, he wrote letters and cards to his best friend in class.  The content was usually something related to "Blues Clues".  

I offered to help him with the message for this card:

"Get Well Soon"

Emily, I hope you are riding your horse soon!"
Love, Joey XOXOXO

I am soooo proud of him.  To think of this on his own, to empathize with someone who is in pain, to offer to do something for someone else, is monumental for him.

We made the card.  I inserted a little note with a picture of Joey for the parents to read and understand why it is such a basic piece of artwork.  

I hope the understand that for him it was a great accomplishment and that he hopes that their little girl gets better.  

Another example that our kids are truly full of heart and innocence.  Something to be applauded and copied. 


No comments:

Post a Comment