Friday, January 31, 2014

Autism: My Pom-Poms Are Flat

Autism:  My Pom-Poms Are Flat
by Pamela Mari 


"We are autie mommies"
"Mighty, mighty mommies"
"Everywhere we go 
people wanna know"
"Who we are?"
"So we tell them" Hooray!

I was not a cheerleader in high school.  I was in drama, theatre and served on the newspaper staff.  I vaguely remember trying out for cheerleading.  I think one of the tests was to run up and down the bleachers without breaking your neck.  After which, I departed the gym, knowing this group was not for me.  

In a conversation with another autism mom earlier this month we discussed the ongoing "cheerleading" we do for our kids. "Yeah, great job". "You can do it".  " Don't give up, we will get there" "One more try honey".  "Don't let the angry feelings get you."  "I am so proud of you."  "I will never give up on you."  

The list of encouragements is endless. 

It must have been a relatively bad day with autism at our house.  I felt as if I had climbed to the top of the "cheerleaders" pyramid, done the flip and landed flat on my butt.  Where was that person that was supposed to catch ME?  I remember saying to my friend "that's it...my pom poms are flat".  There's no playbook, no coach, and no spare players on the bench.  At our house it's a one man team, and a one man cheering section.  There's no time outs, we are always in overtime.  I am the quarterback, the defense and the offense.  I'm ready to throw in the proverbial "terrible towel".  I have met the enemy and it has won. 

My friend in her wisdom let me rant. "I've tried and I've tried", I told her, I've repeated this a million times and he still doesn't get it!  

A seasoned veteran of the game she simply replied "Yes, but the million and tenth time, he will!

So here I go, with the Hail Mary pass into the fray chanting: 
"We are autie mommies, mighty mighty mommies!




No comments:

Post a Comment